By establishing the Excelsior Scholarship, the State of New York takes a brave step toward reducing the cost of higher education and student loan debt. The nation has never seen anything like this program before. It creates a national paradigm for expanding access to higher education and enables many New York State residents to enroll in CUNY colleges without paying tuition.
They must also enroll full-time and earn 30 credits annually. Additionally, recipients must promise to only live in New York State and refrain from working there for a continuous period of time equal to the length of the prize.
After all other help, including TAP, Pell, City Council Scholarship, college scholarships, and other grants or scholarships, the Excelsior Scholarship will be applied to each eligible student’s financial aid package.
Any inquiries should be directed to the admissions or financial aid offices at the college you want to attend.
Also read: How to Apply For a Niche Scholarship
In Order to be Eligible For theExcelsior Scholarship
A candidate must:
- Have a gross income of $125,000 or less;
- Be on to an undergraduate degree;
- Be a resident of New York State and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the start of the term;
- Be a citizen of the United States or an eligible non-citizen; have graduated from high school in the United States, and earned a high school equivalency diploma.
- Prior to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship, if you attended college before the academic year for which an award is sought, you must have earned at least 30 credits per year (consistent enrollment) applicable toward your degree program;
- Be in conformity with the conditions of the service condition(s) required by a previous NYS award; sign a contract pledging to live in NYS for the duration of the award; and, if employed, be engaged in NYS throughout that period.